Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hello!

I'm back to say hello, and share some photos :)  Thanks to readers who have sent me emails and left comments ~ much appreciated :)  I have been reading your blog postings, but please forgive me for not commenting during my absence.

Flighty kindly sent me some pot marigold (his favorite) seeds, and finally one 'hatched' today!  There are a few more promising buds, so here's hoping for more bright yellow faces.  I planted the seeds in a pot that is set inside an old metal chair, located in the rose garden.  This is the only area that is fenced off to keep deer out.   I'm not sure if deer would eat pot marigolds, but why chance it?


The plants are confused; the lawns look like straw, but finally, after a very wet spring, and a very dry July (no rain at all), we have had a few cooler days with some much needed rain.  The weather during July was great for holiday makers and residents alike.  Not too many super hot days (28C), and lots in the low and middle 20C range.  Perfect for sitting in the shade on the deck, reading and enjoying the sights and smells of summer (like BBQ's in the late afternoon) ;)
....

A couple of days ago, on a day trip to Victoria, I noticed that the breakwater at Ogden Point (here's a link to a webcam) was sporting a handrail.  A newspaper article explains this addition, which was a long time in coming!  Feels much safer to walk along it now ~ because it can be especially wild when a stiff wind comes up.

Earlier in the day, I enjoyed a visit to Hatley Castle, in the photo below, central building of Royal Roads University,  and then drove to the Esquimalt Lagoon close by.


A Canada Goose, one of many of the sea birds on the lagoon side of the spit, approached me, and I was able to get a few good close up and personal photos!

Even earlier in the day, I took a few photos of Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria, a very colourful tourist spot.

and a couple of pirates entertaining the visitors:



Eventually I hope to share my April California trip photos!  One of the highlights, of course, was meeting Nikki and Roomie!

That's it for now ~ Hope you are all enjoying a wonderful summer!

18 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. The lighthouse is a wonderful shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian ~ it's good to be back and I was pleased with the lighthouse shot too :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Glo - long time no see. Love the look of Fishermans Wharf I bet it has a wonderful atmosphere. I am enjoying some of Flighty's pot marigolds too - they really brighten up the days don't they. Hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time has flown by! Fisherman's Wharf is fun to check out with all the colourful floating houses, all bedecked just so with lots of creativity. Good to know that Flighty's pot marigolds have spread throughout blogland :) Feeling good now thanks ~

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you back in the blogging world Glo. Hope you are now fully recovered after your stony experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! Feeling great and hoping to stay that way!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, greenthumb. Hopefully I'll get back into Scavenger Hunt mode!

      Delete
  5. Hello! I have had a break from blogging too, both reading and writing. It's great to come back and find some of your lovely photo's to look at. Hope you are well. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you, too! Not only have you had a break, but you've moved to Cumbria! Glad you enjoy my photos, and thanks, I am feeling great!

      Delete
  6. Hi Glo. Wonderful to see you back and pretty cool that I have just come in from the garden, having inspected the marigolds grown from Flighty's seeds... I'm sure deer would find them tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi UPDD ~ Thanks for the welcome back! Yes, Flighty has been generously sharing pot marigolds with his online friends... a lovely gesture. Deer find most plants to their liking around here, although other types of marigolds do have a distinctive fragrance that may discourage them...if I had lots of them, I could experiment...but so far only one in bloom!

      Delete
  7. Lovely pics Glo and even nicer to see you back.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Snowbird! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your entertaining and heart-warming blog postings, and must get back to commenting without any more delay.

      Delete
  8. Hello, it's so nice to see you posting again.
    Thanks for the mention, and it's good to see that your pot marigolds have started flowering. It was the second warmest July on record here so both me and the plants were rather frazzled. It's been cooler, and more unsettled this month thankfully.
    I've enjoyed looking at all your wonderful photos, as well as the links that you've thoughtfully provided. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty! The lone blooming pot marigold was stretching its yellow face way out towards the sun today, with its little buddies, the red nasturtiums looking on. July was definitely a different month for weather it seems, no matter where ~ cooler temps now here too. Glad you enjoyed my photos and links :)

      Delete
  9. Ah! You're back among the blogging :-) I know your camera has been busy and so glad to see you posting some of your images. Those geese seemed right tame!

    Seems many of us have had odd summer weather. I'm certainly thankful for ours. We're getting an unusual late summer flush of roses just now. Might be able to squeeze another in mid fall at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki ~ Thanks for the welcome back :) Yes, I do have a few photos, to say the least, and hard to know where to begin really. I'd never been approached by a Canada goose before, so I wasn't quite sure what it had in mind.

      We're having some lovely weather again ~ in the 20C range; quite pleasant. Must be nice to have those roses blushing again :)

      Delete